Cooperative Research Programs
The Notre Dame Wireless institute is part of a multi-university research and development center connecting the wireless industry through the National Science Foundation's Industry/University Cooperative Research Centers (I/UCRC) program. The purpose of the program called the Broadband Wireless Access and Applications Center (BWAC) is to foster regular interactions and long-term relationships among the partners, prioritize cooperative research directions, and adapt research activities and student training to address market needs.
Partner companies become members of the center through one or more university sites by designating a representative to serve on the center Industry Advisory Board (IAB) and contributing program funding. Each site's funding is pooled among its membership fees and investments from the National Science Foundation and benefits from reduced overhead costs at the site university.
Sponsored Research Programs
For those wanting a more customized research plan than a cooperative program can offer, the Wireless Institute is able to collaborate individually through direct sponsored research projects. This includes the pursuit of joint funding partnerships or individually funded efforts with specific faculty. We also provide a flexible model for the handling of intellectual property. Pricing will vary and be determined on a per project basis.
Benefits of Collaborating
- Collaborating with an exceptional team of faculty covering the wireless industry "stack".
- Accessing testbeds, crowded venues, and associated data.
- Guiding student researchers in projects relevant to industry partners and recruiting them for internships and permanent employment.
- Developing intellectual property through a flexible model.
- Connecting to Notre Dame offices that regularly manage a crowded wireless environment: the Office of Information Technology; the Office of Public Safety; and the Department of Athletics.
- Leveraging the funds of other I/UCRC partners and the NSF.
- Broadening and deepening the commercial wireless emphasis within the I/UCRC.
- Amplify your research capability with our upcoming SBXG city-scale testbed.
Current Industry and Government Partners